SOEWN EARTH

The Earth Reliant Artist



Trace Willans All Natural Mixed Media







Thursday, July 1, 2010

Studio Business

Pictures from the button factory.
Yes I am in full swing now pumping buttons out fast and furious.

And this is the stockpile awaiting their trip to the kiln for their first firing. I will be doing a huge craft fair in October so am working on stock from now, having other markets along the way keeps putting dents in my stock but in a good way.
And this is a little fun distraction. Local artists were asked to contribute a little something for a fundraiser for our local arts cooperative. We were each given a 8" x 10" board to work on and they were all for sale for $50 each but the names were on the back so in theory you didnt know who's you had till after purchase.
I worked on two pieces above and below only choosing at the end my preferred piece to glue on the board.
In the end this one went off to the sale last night and yes it sold reasonably quickly and I spoke to the purchaser who was very happy with her buy. This is a work in progress picture not the finished piece of which I will put up a photo tomorrow when my partner brings the camera back!!!
Both pieces are plaster bandage the lower one is adhered to hession with a piece of stitched cotton in the centre and then painted with milk paints. More layers I might add then can be seen here. I then coated the whole piece in hot melted beeswax to protect it and give it a wonderful luminosity.
And these are just a couple more in progress on the bench.

9 comments:

dorie said...

like these very much too! Have done an online-course with textured surfaces, but I hated the synthetic stuff - using natural materials is the best alternative!

frog ponds rock... said...

I am having a deja vu moment here have we met? I love your buttons and I am really interested in the work you made for the sale.

Trace Willans said...

Thanks Dorie, I will see what I can do to make it happen.
Hey Kim, I am not aware of us meeting but I have done some markets in HObart. I did the last 2 Barnmarkets and The Eastside Market. If you are ever up here in Lonnie come and visit me I have a studio space at the Tin Shed Pottery in Invermay.

Lucky Dip Lisa said...

There's nothing like a studio shot! Your wax and plaster bandage work is fantastic too:)

frog ponds rock... said...

I am coming up to Lonnie for the regional arts Junction 2010 winter conference at the end of August, I will try and find your studio but I will be flat stick at the conference.

As for meeting I meant online :)

dorie said...

seems I have 'infected' some dutchies with the buttons - hope you have enough in stock..

Trace Willans said...

Dorie, Infect away. Just let every one know that it might be a week or two before the next batch goes on Etsy.
Frogpondsrock, I will be doing the Niche Market which is at the Conference so we can meet up there. I believe I chatted with you about fragon's eggs a while back.

frog ponds rock... said...

I will look for you at the niche market.I would like some of your buttons, what day is the market on as I have a full conference schedule and will be running around like a bluearse fly. cheers Kim

Trace Willans said...

The Niche Market is both saturday and sunday.
I will also be at the next Barnmarket which is early August friday evening and saturday if you are going to be in Hobart.