SOEWN EARTH

The Earth Reliant Artist



Trace Willans All Natural Mixed Media







Monday, August 20, 2012

Loving the Weekend Work

Samples
Playing with meths and pigment/natural resin

I had such a great weekend
Saturday the weather was glorious
got out into the vegie garden
and got the weeding done
and then in the afternoon went down to beach 
for a little rock climbing
But the studio was the best fun of all 


Started by playing with pouring pigment/natural resin in meths
this is dry gesso which I have wet
indigo, lac, xanthorrhoea and ink
I could have left it like this but no

I put another layer of gesso over the top
and then worked inot it while it was wet


the same here but only using indigo, ink and xanthorrhoea


and the end result

before

after

before

after

the detail tells you why
I love this technique so much
Next weekend I will apply wax
and make some marks
such fun
x te

9 comments:

Jennifer said...

Looks like you had a wonderful time experimenting in the studio!

Velma Bolyard said...

well, i am surely impressed. these are delicious and i'm not hungry. gorgeous color. great mixes. really need to play with pigments...

Raggle Taggle Gypsy Girl said...

These are quite lovely and also look like they would have been a lot of fun......

Trace Willans said...

pigments are so much fun Velma. I now have sitting meths indigo, lac, cochineal, cutch, yellow ochre and red oxide oh and of course the xanthorrhoea resin and shellac. I also have some of these sitting in walnut oil so I can use them in my encaustic work. My header shows indigo in walnut oil. I love my work!!!
Hi Jennifer just wait till I start working over rust and tea stained paper, I have a collection started thanks to your inspiration.
Thanks Raggle Taggle sure am having fun, I love the results when I let myself just play and I have learnt never to play on cheap materials as the results are always amazing.
x te

india flint said...

play is the best teacher. add colour and it gets even better

Trace Willans said...

Hi India
It is only when I play that I like the end results as soon as I try and achieve something it all seems so forced

A mermaid in the attic said...

Loving the colors happening here, and I agree, usually the pieces that I wasn't thinking too much about end up being my favourites. They have a kind of magic that the ones I agonized over and overthought lack. The magic of play and discovery through play, something we adults often forget!

Valerianna said...

Great textures... and layered archeology, a professor of mine used to say...

Jo Murray said...

Such earthy and satisfying pieces. Yum!