SOEWN EARTH

The Earth Reliant Artist



Trace Willans All Natural Mixed Media







Tuesday, July 26, 2016

A Tiny Indigo Vat

I have been playing with a teeny tiny indigo vat
It is in a Djon Mustard jar
a little indigo powder dissolved in meths
a little lime and 
some agave syrup


I have dyed some little 
woven squares
all silk except the one second row
on the left 
which is 
nettle fibre

this one was left in the pot overnight
and is very vibrant

I have also dyed a skein of 
linen paper tape

which I am now weaving into
another square
each side is some where between
7 and 8 cm

So no matter how small your container 
you can still dye with indigo
the advantage here is that
the little jar soon
heats up in the sun

x te

7 comments:

Velma Bolyard said...

cool beans indeed. love the little jar.

Velma Bolyard said...

further thinking, sometimes all you need is a tiny bit of indigo magic to make your day. this made mine!

jude said...

lovely. a small vat here as well

Trace Willans said...

Thank you Velma and Jude, yes a tiny vat was all that I needed, it is sitting out on the railing staying nice and warm, just big enough for little squares and threads.

Mo Crow said...

that's really inspiring for inner city living with not much space for vats!

Trace Willans said...

Ah Mo, I do more and more things on a small scale, I love the intimacy of it. Currently I have 3 jars out in the sun, indigo, tomato leaves and red mangrove.

Clare Bray said...

First time reading this, thanks for sharing